Wooden bracelet, light and simple. Perfect for wearing in the summer.
Agate bracelet. Pretty strict, gives off more of a classic vibe. Goes with everything, from t-shirts and jeans to suits.
Hematite/aventurine necklace. I love the design! Usually I'm not too fond of black/brown color combinations, but this one is a total win.
Aventurine beads. They are cool! I mean, they are dark blue and shine mysteriously *_* No idea what to wear them with, though. I suspect they hypnotized me into buying them x_x
Two agate rings. Beautiful color transitions.
These pretty things came with my order as free gifts from the nice online shop
Coral necklace. Definitely not my color, especially close to the face. Red requires perfect makeup; otherwise, it gives an unfortunate "skin imperfections alert!" effect.
Nephrite pendant. Another little thing for wearing in the summer.
This awesome set is from another online shop (earrings) and an offline store (pendant and ring):
Swarovski crystals and silver coating. Quite gothic, but without being too dark or heavy. Love at first sight <3
Aaaand... the subject of this post subtly and smoothly changes to
(Because not mentioning him while speaking of beautiful things and love at first sight is a crime.)To his thumb ring, to be more precise. Let's start with HeroesWiki:
- Mohinder Suresh wears his ring while teaching at Chennai University.
- After injecting himself with a genetic modification formula and regaining bug-like abilities, Mohinder begins to act uncharacteristically. Waking up in his bed beside Maya, Mohinder sits up, looks at his ring hand, and notices that his veins are pulsating abnormally.
- When captured by Nathan, the evolved humans are transported by a plane. Peter looks at the hooded person next to him, but does not know who it is. He notices the thumb ring, and realizes it is Mohinder. Peter takes Mohinder's hand and replicates Mohinder's ability. Later, when Peter is about to be thrown out of the plane, Mohinder grabs him with his ring hand.
* Mohinder has worn the ring for every episodic appearance he has made. However, he has never worn the ring in any graphic novel.
* The Mohinder action figure by Nezco Toys does include a painted ring on Mohinder's left thumb like in the show.
* At the 2007 Comic Con, when asked what he personally brings to the show, Sendhil Ramamurthy said that the thumb ring he wears is actually his own.
* According to a Twitter update from props master James Clark, Sendhil's ring is handmade, and may be from India.
A lot of facts, but what is the significance of his thumb ring? Does it somehow reflect Mohinder's personality? I've gathered quotes from several sources. That's what the mighty Internet says:
- In palmistry the thumb is seen as the
willpowerfinger. The Venus Mount at the base of the thumb symbolizes
sexuality. The separation of the thumb from the rest of the fingers represents mankind surrounded by the cosmos. So, to the "flower power" movement in the Sixties, and through to the current "New Age" movement the wearing of a thumb ring emphasizes the insistence of
freedom of thought and action. The more prominently the thumbs are displayed, the more important is independence and freedom. This probably explains the rise in the wearing of them in recent times, and the often
flamboyant natureof the wearers.
- In the sixteenth century in Europe it was customary to assign rings according to the work done by the wearer, and wearers of thumb rings were known to be
Source (in English): http://answers.google.com/answers/threa
dview/id/62845.html (a good read!)
- Men use their thumbs to convey a "Hey, attention!" message. Psychologists think that the primary desire of thumb ring owners consists in
self-assertionin every possible way,
first of all - sexually.
Source (in Russian): http://www.interlinks.ru/jewelry/1831.h
- Thumb rings give away
stubborn, commanding personality. These people are
strongand expect others to obey them.
- Demonstration of a
desire to be different, special.
Source (in Russian): http://xiro-practice.ru/page.php?29
- A ring on the left hand
(Mohinder's ring hand!):
Wearing a ring on the left hand's thumb reflects influence of
subconscious, instincts, beliefs.
Source (in Russian): http://www.toptips.ru/culture-and-socie
So, after finding out all this, I'm once again amazed at how good
Heroesis with the details. Plus, Mohinder's sudden urge to gain powers in S3 is easily explained now: a sexy doctor just wanted to assert himself by becoming special. And look at what turned out to be the first thing on his "to do" (ahem!) list after getting powers - Maya! :)
- Current Mood: amused